The following information has been compiled by Saumya Tripathi, student at National Law University Odisha
Swayam portal is a platform launched by the government of India catering free online courses. Launched in the year 2017, it aims to provide online learning in the remotest corners of India. In order to promote inclusive education for all, materials and e-textbooks are provided free of cost and subjects related to all disciplines are covered to cater to a wide audience. The courses offered here are taught via digital classrooms by faculties from institutes of National Importance and certificates are issued at a nominal fee. SWAYAM platform (https://swayam.gov.in/) was established by MHRD and AICTE with the assistance of Microsoft to supply hosting of about 2000 courses of learning in several streams including engineering, law, post-graduate and under-graduate courses, and a few other professional courses.
The courses hosted on SWAYAM are in 4 quadrants –
(1) video lecture,
(2) specially prepared reading material that can be downloaded/printed
(3) self-assessment tests through tests and quizzes and
(4) an online discussion forum for clearing the doubts. Steps have been taken to enrich the learning experience by using audio-video and multi-media and state of the art pedagogy / technology.
Process to access the portal for certificate courses
- One can simply open the website and login with either google, Microsoft or facebook account. The portal offers 500+ courses open for enrolment. Such courses are available for all regardless of the age-group one belongs to.
- Once you open the “500+ online courses” link, there’sa course catalogue box available for your rescue as in you can search the subject area on which you are looing for an online certificate course. This box will help you to narrow down your search and will save you from scrolling through more than 500 courses.
- After the above step, two column appears. One which shows upcoming courses and the one which shows ongoing courses. The website permits registration only for the upcoming courses. At this point, you will also be able to see the total time period of the course, the professor who will be taking it, important dates with regard to the course and most importantly, the date when the registration closes.
- Once you choose the course of your choice, you’ll be asked to register. You need to fill in the following details.
- Now, all you need to do is to complete your registration and you are done with the process.
- Finally, you’ll receive a message of a successful registration.
- While the courses are available for free. For receiving the certificates, a nominal fee is required. One needs to appear for an assessment examination and thereafter, becomes eligible for the certificate of such courses.
The portal also offers a large chunk of courses without certificates. These courses are especially designed for UG and PG. There are 128 PG courses and 232 UG courses. The topics under UG range from cyber law and organization behaviour to criminal law and criminology. There are several modules available under each topic providing a detailed account and deep intricacies of the subject matter. All of it can be accessed free of cost.
Link to access the page directly-http://ugcmoocs.inflibnet.ac.in/ugcmoocs/moocs_courses.php
National Digital Library of India
To make the resources available to the learner’s community through a single window, a national digital library has been introduced. It consists of short videos with an in-depth explanation on diverse topics. Fields such as Humanities, Literature, Law and Management etc. are covered.
The page can be accessed from here- https://ndl.iitkgp.ac.in/
The Diksha portal under this website offers free e-textbooks from standard 1 to 12th in all subjects. Apart from offering CBSE and NCERT textbooks, various state board books are also available for students. All of these are accessible in 4 mediums i.e. English, Hindi, Sanskrit and Urdu.
Link for the page- https://diksha.gov.in/explore
SOME IMPORTANT LINKS
- Ministry of HRD MooC guidelines- https://storage.googleapis.com/swayam1-pub-data/wqimgtest_def7ed99-3086-48a1-9148-a0dc7ab7d461.pdf
- UGC framework for Online learning courses through SWAYAM-https://storage.googleapis.com/swayam1-pub-data/UGC-(Credit-Framework-for-Online-Learning-Courses-through-SWAYAM)-Regulation%2C-2016.pdf
Buzz Box is a concept by Team Law Informants, where we try to promote initiatives by individuals and organizations for the common good! It is part of our efforts to promote ventures, which deserve the right platform to reach out to interested viewers. Buzz Box also features Social Campaigns, NGO’s and related Causes. We also compile and bring valuable information on our platform. The Buzz Box concept, as originally envisioned, is a flexible platform about promoting and disseminating worthy information to the viewers.The dynamic nature of the concept is bound to find a path on its own!
We appreciate and support these initiatives to further our endeavor of promoting Legal awareness and serving Law Students and Legal Academia. If you know of any such Initiatives, Campaigns, Informative Platforms kindly reach out to us on [email protected] Let there be no Information gap!
(NOTE: Buzz Box is a non-monetary initiative of Law Informants, we do not accept/charge any monetary consideration for the same.)
Disclaimer: Team Law Informants tries to ensure that the information and details are accurate. However, despite our best efforts, some of the content may contain errors. We encourage the viewers to kindly fact check themselves.